It’s that time of year again, and I don’t know if I should cry because summer is over or be happy that Fall is nearing. Either way, it’s back to school time! When I was a kid, my favorite thing in the entire world was sitting down for breakfast and reading the comic section of the newspaper. I’m talking like OG Garfield and Family Circus. It was my little time in the morning to relax before the craziness of elementary school started. Hey, coloring and learning to do long division was tough, man.
Fast forward 11 years and I still love to have a few moments to myself in the mornings, sipping on coffee and figuring out my plans for the day. It sets my mind straight and allows me to gather all my thoughts. Needless to say, I would be completely lost without my morning alone time.
Most days I’m left with a choice. Do I spend half of my “katie time” standing over the stove making breakfast, or do I opt for some leftovers, call it good, and have more time to myself? 9 times out of 10 I resort to leftovers, which sometimes isn’t half bad. But other times, half of a leftover sandwich isn’t what I need to power through my morning.
Solution: Ham & Broccoli Egg Muffins. You can prep these at the start of the week and have breakfast ready in 1 minute all week long, which means more time for yourself in the mornings and less time standing over the stove! WIN!
I love the traditional ham and cheddar combo, but tossed in some broccoli for added nutrition and some green chili for extra flavor! Reheat 30 seconds-1 minute depending on your microwave and serve with hot sauce or condiment of your choice.
Ham & Broccoli Egg Muffins
-10 eggs, whisked
-salt and pepper to taste
-2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
-1/2 cup (about 4 oz) diced green chilis
-8 oz chopped ham, I like applegate
-1 1/2 c steamed broccoli, chopped into very small pieces
-1/2-1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 and grease a 12 cup muffin tin well with cooking spray. Set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, salt and pepper, coconut milk, chilis, ham, and broccoli. If desired, add 1/2 cup cheese to the egg mixture. The remaining cheese will be sprinkled on top.
- Divide egg mixture equally among 12 muffin cups. Add the leftover cheese to the top of each egg muffin.
- Bake 25 minutes or until set. Broil for 2-3 minutes on high to get the cheese brown and bubbly! Keep an eye on them.
- Let cool completely before storing in airtight container in the fridge. These will last up to 5 days. Enjoy 2 for breakfast with a piece of fruit and toast for a complete meal!